Thursday, February 3, 2011

From Memory Box . . . "how to"

From Dave at Memory Box . . .

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 02:14 PM PST
Plovebirds
I had sooo many emails and phone calls about this project sample that we sent out to stores, so I wanted to go over it with everyone to show how easy it really is.

I used the E1426 Reverse Bird Branch

E1426
and a sheet of the 12x12 Secret Garden paper

10117
I used just a small portion of the 12x12 for the project, in an area that is a little more subtle. I try to make sure that all of the 12x12 I design has a lot of variety on it - so that my designs have areas that can be used as backgrounds as well as areas that can be the focus of a card (like the branches). The area towards the right of the sheet, that has just a little writing and faded flowers, is perfect for this technique.

Reverse1
I inked up the stamp image with Versamark ink (a clear sticky ink), and stamped it onto the sheet.

Reverse2
The actual stamped image is clear, but I darkened it here so you could see. Next, I poured clear embossing powder over the image and embossed it. The clear embossing powder "seals" the paper, leaving the branches and birds "open".

Using Memento markers (Pear Tart, Rich Cocoa and Desert sand) I colored in the open spots (the birds, branches and leaves) and wiped off any excess ink that got onto the embossed areas. After trimming the image out of the paper, I added some pieces of patterned paper to the card (all the patterns are from the 6x6 pixie pack) using adhesive and my sewing machine to stick everything together. When placing pieces of patterned paper onto the card - try slanting them and overlapping. I usually play with the papers a little until I am happy with the way they look - but I try not to overthink it! All of the patterns in the Pixie pack coordinate perfectly with each other.

You can do this reverse embossed technique with any of our bold images, such as

E1427
E1427 Reverse Bird Grass

E1716
E1716 Reverse Tree Sprout
E1715
E1715 Leafy Background

Hope this inspires you to try some "reverse embossing"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers