Monday, April 7, 2014

Sam (Sara) Lee is our featured Artist-of-the-Month at Art 'n Soul. She is so passionate about her art and we love that about her. She's willing to try most anything and everything, and also finds time to revert back to her favorites, i.e., journaling and wood carving.



Art N Soul’s Featured Artist
Sam (Sara) Lee

"I was born to be a crafter and a hoarder of craft items.  Both my parents were very craft oriented and we always had worktables set up with something being made on them.  We went from ceramics, to candle making, to woodworking, to glasswork to just about everything.  It was a wonderful place to grow up.  From the first class I took here at Art ‘n Soul, my art world just exploded for new craft ideas.

I have always been drawn to any kind of papercrafts, and spent hours coloring with colored pencils and also painting as a child.  I made cards in the 80’s, did lots of scrapbooking in the 90’s, and then just when I was running out of fun ideas, I found this world right here in this cozy exciting art store.  The people here have been so encouraging to me, and all the customers are so interested in art that I have bloomed out of my box.  Now I have really expanded into too many areas, BUT IT IS ALL FUN.  I have decided I can draw, I can journal, and I can try anything once at least.  With all the support of the staff and the other customers, I have done things I would have never been brave enough to try.  In my 70 years, I would never have believed there were so many things to create.

I always had an affinity for woodcarving, and carved quite a bit for about 12 years.  Then my hands started to hurt too badly and I gave up carving for some 10 years.  Art ‘n Soul even got me back carving, through one of the other customers here, who had a friend invite me to a power carving group; and here I am carving again.  This store has the best paints, especially the Silk line and the wax colors in the Inka-Gold products (that I use to brighten up my carvings) as well as reinkers, which I like to use as stain or paint on wood.

There are such great classes to be taken here.  The selection of local talented people to teach the classes, as well as the people from outside our area that Susie gets to come here is mind blowing.  Then there are Play Days and demos, and groups to join, that I am never without something to do or something new to try.  There are so many different crafts to try, from working with metals, beads and fibers, to stamping techniques, painting, paper assemblage and journal making, that I can not say enough about this little shop in Lacey.  It is like my retreat from my real world.

Thank you from the bottom of my soul for all that you provide, and the friendships I have made here.  I also thank you for the opportunity to be featured this month as an “artist”.  I really almost believe I am one now.

Sam"


This is a sampling of Sam's work on display at Art 'n Soul. Please, take the time to browse through because it's really worth it.

by Sam Lee

by Sam Lee

by Sam Lee

by Sam Lee

by Sam Lee

by Sam Lee
Sam is a very active member of our Journal Club that meets the 2nd Friday of each month between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. at the store. Sam derives a lot of inspiration from those meetings.



Penny Black is still promoting their new spring release. Dianne found a video featuring a watercolor technique using the Penny Black stencils. It reminds me of the technique that Helene with Magenta taught us a couple of years ago. Here is the link to the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDTIOBSZzg&list=UUVybKd4YlJrqkTnKtY8ddsw



Can you tell I'm having a difficult time staying away from the Radiant Neon inks from IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko? Here's another card that is quick to do. I have a friend who I'm constantly telling "you're a real piece of work"! So I'm sending her this card.

by Debbie Gaetz
  • IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko Radiant Neon pigment inks in Electric Coral, Electric Purple, Electric Orange; finger daubers
  • Stamp from Lost Coast Designs
  • Word stamp from Impression Obsession (Alessa Baker Designs) - D9210 You're My Favorite
  • SEI Decorated Card Stock
  • Conqueror 118 lb. card stock in White Diamond
  • Black card stock (65 lb.)
  • We R Memory Keepers' Heritage Corner Punch
  • Adhesive backed crystals in light green from KaiserCraft



We had a great celebration of my grandniece's 13th birthday today. And now o
ne more full day before we depart for London on Tuesday. Half of the large suitcase is now full with clothes, books and toys for our 2 year-old and 7 month-old granddaughters. So much to do and the hours are counting down.




Night! We'll see you tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers