Saturday, May 16, 2015

I apologize for not posting on Thursday night. I hosted a luncheon for 8 AND a family dinner for 9 to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. It started out that I was only doing a girl's luncheon; then her daughter's told me they were looking to me for a family dinner celebration that night. They both work, so I felt I should. Both events were fun, but . . . it was all I could do to load the dishwasher for the 3rd time and retreat to bed. This morning I drove to Seattle to purchase paper supplies for the store and all of the accident-prone folks were on the roads. Between the accidents and the fact that the store had moved without my knowledge, it took me 4-3/4 hours of driving around before I returned home to collapse. I just woke up.



It's the 15th (when I started this posting) and that means Art 'n Soul's Inspiration Station is back this month. This month, we're featuring the Stamp Set "Bird Crazy" from Stamper's Anonymous' Tim Holtz Collection.

"Bird Crazy" Tim Holtz Collection
We have several of these sets available, so hurry in before they disappear!

I love these Bird Crazy characters; they're perfect for the quirky sentiment stamps I've been collecting. So we're starting the May Inspiration Station with this card . . .

by Debbie Gaetz
  • STAMPS:
    • Stamper's Anonymous -- Crazy Bird 2 and Crazy Bird 3
    • Penny Black -- Sentiment by Mary Linn Kelly
  • STENCIL:
    • "Shine" from Memory Box (88505)
  • INKS:
    • IMAGINE Crafts' Electric Neon in Electric Purple & Electric Coral (stamped the bird images, and Electric Yellow (stenciled background rays); VersaMark for embossing the entire finished card top; VersaFine in Onyx Black (sentiment); Memento Luxe in Wedding White (worked into stenciled background rays to soften the yellow).
  • WATERCOLORS:
    • Kuretake No. 50 & No. 61
  • COLORED TOMBOW MARKERS:
    • Crazy Bird 2 -- No. 623 (bird), No. 515 (eyes), No. 993 (beak) No. 192 (sign)
    • Crazy Bird 3 -- No. 772 & 873 (bird), No. 856 (bottom lip), No. 755 (top lip), No. 452 (eyes)
  • PAPER:
    • Ranger Distressed 140 lb. cold-press watercolor card stock in white; black card stock as panel mat; Conqueror 118 lb. card stock in Diamond White for A2 card
  • MISC:
    • water mister, watercolor brush, extra-fine point black marker pen (to outline bird characters), black enamel nail heads (sign), extra thick utee embossing powder, small finger dauber

The watercolor card stock was misted with water and the two watercolors were swished across. After dabbing up the little pools of water, I dried the card stock with a craft dryer. I stamped the images* with the Neon inks, colored them with the Tombow markers and heat-dried. I stamped the image again on white paper and cut them out to use as masks, as well as a rectangle for the sign. With small ink daubers, I applied the Neon Yellow and Wedding White inks through the stencil.

*The Crazy Bird 2 was stamped twice with the Electric Purple ink. The first time, I masked the body off. After the sign was added, I masked off the upper portion of the bird and stamped again so only the legs and feet would show under the sign.

I went over the image outlines with the black marker pen. On the purple bird, I used a watercolor brush to smooth out some of the colors. I purposely didn't smooth out the colors on the shorter bird because I wanted her to look roughed up and ruffled because of what her friend was saying. (She has her lipstick on and is ready to party! and now her friend is saying maybe she's not going to the party with her.) I also added the lines for the sign and the ground marks. The final finish was to apply VersaMark on the entire surface of the panel and heat emboss with extra thick utee.

Stay tuned for an Inspiration Station project each day from the team. We're having too much fun with these wonderful stamps . . . these Crazy Birds make us crazee to keep stamping!




I love how Marietta used the flower border stencil along the bottom of this card that features the new Fuchsia stamp from Magenta.

by Marietta van Leeuwen, Design Team Magenta
Click on this link for the information:



On the Memory Box blog, Pam Sparks has made two beautiful cards that are very simple in design.

by Pam Sparks for Memory Box

by Pam Sparks for Memory Box
Click on this link for the details and another card design:



Looking for something unique for the background to your stamped artwork? Kersten has used a book page to stamp on ad color, and then she collages the pieces onto a card panel.

"work in progress" by Kersten for RubberMoon
Click on this link to RubberMoon for the FUN look:



Time to retire for the day. When you read this, it will be time for you to step in at the Inspiration Station at Art 'n Soul to see what the Crazy Birds are up to! AND, there will be sample cards left from the Play Day, playing with the Craft Foil!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers