Thursday, May 30, 2013

The last project assigned to the Artists-in-Residence this month was a 'self-portrait'. That certainly opens up a wide spectrum of thought, and the challenge to interpret any one of those into something creative and artsy. I decided to just 'go' with the moment.


I view things a little off-balance. What I consider centered isn't always the case. And I don't like things 'perfectly' centered on display; I prefer groupings and off-center positions. I'm very casual and proud that I've reached my 60th year without feeling dismayed about it.
So, here we go!

With an Avery Elle clear photopolymer floral stamp (Petals & Stems) mounted on IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Tack 'N Peel™ Reusable Cling Sheet, I stamped the image with IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento Luxe™ Mixed Media Pigment Ink in Morocco directly onto the chipboard. The Tack 'N Peel™ is easy to use as a stamp base because it can be washed with water, dried and re-used. I placed a piece of washi tape on the side of the clear plastic cover that is away from the sticky side so I'll always know what side to work from.


I started out with a plain piece of chipboard. I placed SEI White Elegance die-cut butterfly accents on the chipboard to act as a mask. Using the IMAGINE Crafts® InkBlushers™, I applied IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dye Ink in Bahama Blue to the entire surface.







I stamped Magenta's Garden Cats stamp with IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dye Ink in Tuxedo Black. I colored in the cats with IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dual Tip Marker in Tuxedo Black; flowers were colored with IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dual Tip Markers in Pear Tart, Rose Bud and Morocco.

From my stash of remnant embellishments, I used 4 stickers, i.e., "Magic", "Family", "Home", and "Travel" to represent what I truly love. I attached each one of the stickers with IMAGINE Crafts® Creative Medium™. Because washi tapes have been hugely popular at Art 'n Soul, I used 3 different patterned tapes across the upper width of the base. I also 'fussy-cut' a large Japanese lantern.


The wood picture frame and the wood bird cage are from KAISERCRAFT's wood flourishes (bird cage and frames) line. I rubbed the frame directly on the IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento Luxe™ Mixed Media Pigment Ink in Toffee Crunch. The bird cage was rubbed directly on the IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Delicata™ Pigment Ink for a gilded look.




The wooden bird die cut from Studio Calico was pressed into the IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dye Ink in Bahama Blue. The wooden 6 and 0 were pressed into the IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento Luxe™ Mixed Media Pigment Ink in Wedding Dress. The wooden bird from Studio Calico upside down above the '60' was colored with the IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dual Marker in New Sprout. (Please note:  there is nothing wrong with the bird; I thought an upside down bird would represent one of the ways I am different and the times I go against the 'normal'.)

The butterfly die cuts that I had used as masks when applying color to the chipboard are now colored as well. Because these die cuts have a resist pattern on them, I was able to go back over the butterfly wings with IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dual Markers in Angel Pink, Lulu Lavender, Pear Tart and Paris Dusk. I edged the larger two die cuts with the Black Tuxedo marker.

The wooden bird behind the bird cage, the bird cage, the number 60 and the upside down bird, as well as the White Elegance butterfly die cuts were attached with IMAGINE Crafts® GooseBumps™ Texture Spray that I applied to the backside with a dauber. The smallest butterfly was adhered with pop dots. The picture frame was attached with foam mounting tape. The 'flip flop' shoe is a brad put through the hole at the top of the bird cage. "One of these days" is a sticker from my remnant embellishment stash. The butterfly antennas are made from Magenta peel-offs.




I'll be able to display this in my studio and relate to every component of the collage.

  • The flowers, butterflies and birds are nature's gifts
  • The stickers represent things I love in general . . . home, family, travel and 'magic' . . . the wonder of everything beautiful, imaginative and creative
  • My 60th year and the upside down bird representing going against the grain, aka being totally different
  • The off-centered bird cage within the frame
  • The flip flop shoe brad representing the shoe of choice during the good weather months
  • The Japanese lantern cut-out to represent my heritage that I haven't been in touch with until recently
  • The 'one of these days' sticker that reminds me of how many items are listed on my bucket list that I'm determined to complete if I can quit adding to it!


There may be additional self-portraits in the making because this was a fun project. Perhaps I should start a Self-Portrait journal!

Thanks for stopping by again!


SUPPLIES USED:
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento Luxe™ Mixed Media Pigment Ink in Wedding Dress, Morocco, Toffee Crunch
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dye Ink in Tuxedo Black and Bahama Blue
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Delicata™ Pigment Ink
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Memento™ Dual Markers in Angel Pink, Paris Dusk, Tuxedo Black, Morocco, New Sprout, Pistachio, Rose Bud, Lulu Lavender, and Pear Tart
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Tack 'N Peel™ Reusable Cling Sheet
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® InkBlushers™
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® Creative Medium™
  • IMAGINE Crafts®/Tsukineko® GooseBumps™ Texture Spray
  • Magenta Style "Garden Cats" Wood Mount Stamp (0630.N)
  • KAISERCRAFT Wood Flourishes "Frames" and "Bird Cages"
  • Avery Elle Photopolymer Clear Stamps "Petals & Stems"
  • SEI White Elegance Die-Cut Accents "Glimmering Flutter"
  • Graphic 45 Bird Song Paper Collection
  • Studio Calico Wood Die Cuts (birds)
  • Washi Tapes
  • Metal Brad -- Flip Flop Shoe
  • Miscellaneous Remnant Stash:  Stickers



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers